Coffee pods from the Future.
Introducing the World’s Most Sustainable Coffee Pods.
Cult London coffee company Grind has announced the launch of it's latest generation of coffee pods, the first in the UK to be certified home-compostable. Created through a process of microbacterial fermentation, Grind’s new pods have been certified to fully decompose within just 26 weeks - quicker than grass cuttings - and are 100% organic and fully biodegradable.
Why coffee drinkers should make the switch to home-compostable coffee pods;
- 29,000 single-use coffee pods end up in landfill every single minute - that's over 120,000 tonnes of waste each year.
- Plastic coffee pods take on average 500 years to break down, directly polluting ecosystems and killing wildlife - Grind’s take just 26 weeks
- While aluminium is infinitely recyclable, less than one in three aluminium pods are actually recycled, and each new pod is made of at least 20% non-recycled aluminum. This reveals an ugly truth of a supply chain with a massive environmental and social cost. Huge amounts of energy, water resources and chemicals are required to produce this aluminium, in what is a highly destructive process. At a resource cost of four tons of bauxite to one ton of aluminium, it's time to move on from causing this damage to our planet.
- Nestlé alone sells around 14 billion aluminum Nespresso® pods each year, and only 29% being recycled, generating an incredible amount of waste.
- Although most coffee pods are described as ‘compostable’ or ‘recyclable’, they often require industrial compost to decompose or to be collected by a local council - but not Grind’s. No matter where your Grind coffee pod ends up, it will decompose far quicker than any plastic or aluminium cousins.
- Grind coffee pods are certified home-compostable, and will fully decompose within 180 days (26 weeks) in your home compost - quicker than garden grass cuttings, and can also be placed into your food-waste bin.
- Grind pods are certified TUV Home Compostable, the first pods in the UK to achieve this standard.
- Grind coffee pods are made from fully biodegradable material called PHA, the worlds most sustainable for of bioplastic, created through microbacterial fermentation.
- Every order from grind.co.uk is delivered carbon-positive, and the coffee in Grind pods is ethically sourced from sustainable farms around the world.
- Grind pods will also break down in a number of weeks if disposed of in a council-approved food waste collection bin. The pods are subsequently used to create waste energy.
- If worst comes to worst and Grind’s pods do make their way into landfill or even the ocean, our pods will still break down in these ambient environments. This is infinitely more beneficial than plastic and aluminium alternatives, which can take up to 500 years to break down, directly polluting ecosystems and killing wildlife.
- Grind pods maintain a full oxygen barrier, keeping your pods fresher for longer.
London-born cult coffee brand Grind is helping people make better, more sustainable coffee at home, with their compostable Nespresso® pods. Filled with organic coffee, ethically sourced from sustainable farms around the world. Roasted daily in London, Brooklyn and LA, Grind sells tens of millions of pods to customers around the world each year, with one now being enjoyed every three seconds.
Grind can be found at members clubs, hotels and restaurants internationally through a global partnership with Soho House, as well as on shelves at retailers including Selfridges and Ocado.
Founded by David Abrahamovitch in Shoreditch, London in 2011 - Grind has been roasting and serving coffee for more than a decade in their own cafes and restaurants.